Netiquette, or commonly known as email etiquette, is about the appropriate manners that Internet users should be responsible for. Cyberspace has its own culture, and has developed its own rules. Without knowing the appropriate netiquette, you might commit some social mistake or offend people without meaning to.
Netiquette rules are based on common sense and respect, but since a free web email is so quick, we often forget that we are still using a form of written communication.
*Top 5 Rules of Netiquette:*
1. Be careful of what you post on the Internet. Anything that you send or post can be forwarded, Avoid any offensive comments towards people. Avoid using uppercase letters in your texts for this can be perceived as yelling.
2. Never use your company email other than work-related purposes. It’s a company property and a company email can be easily monitored by your bosses or office mates.
3. Do not expect a response immediately from a person. Emails can be delivered
quickly but the person you have sent it to may not read it right away.
4. Write a clear and comprehensive emails with an appropriate subject that is relevant about the content. Always read your emails before sending it.
5. When participating a forum post, include the message thread. This will keep the readers a guideline of what you are talking about. This will also lessen the chances of confusion to people who are just new to the thread.